You visted? Whoa...thanks.

Sunday, October 25, 2009

2009, Year of Us

On October 23, 2009...I bought SHINee's new album.


I was so happy when I got this album because this is the second SHINee album that I own. I love their new look and anticipated listening to their songs since I've only heard the teasers. And now that I have heard all of the songs, seen the overall photobook and the packaging I shall give my review.

Songs

1. Y.O.U. (Year of Us) - I absolutely love this song. I was actually doing the laundry when this song started to play and I literally had to stop everything and listen to this song. The background music really works for the song and the boys' voice have a smooth and gentle sound. It's a type of song that you'd want to listen to when you just want to lie down and rest. I have to say that I probably love the chorus the most out of the whole entire song. And if you want to know an interesting, Minho actually sings 3 times if you pay attention. Sure, the longest time was only 3 secs, but for someone who likes Minho it means a lot. I would without a doubt play this song on repeat.

2. Ring Ding Dong - Now of course, this being their comeback song I have heard this song a lot already. Overall, this is just a fun song to listen to with their continuous 'ding ding ding' and 'dong dong dong.' And before you even know it, this song gets stuck in you head and mumbling to yourself 'ling ding dong ling ding' while you're walking around. But of course, I have no idea how the words 'elastic' and 'fantastic' adds to the meaning of the song. If remember the jist of the translations I heard, it seems to be talking about a guy who's kind of on the bad side and how there's a girl that caught their attention. And how if they can have that girl, they don't need anything else. (If I'm wrong in the translation, please correct me) So...how does that relate to 'elastic' and 'fantastic' help? Anyways, I really like this song and just puts a smile on face.

3. JoJo - The first thing I noticed when I heard this song was the really low voice speaking in the beginning of the song. Now, I don't think they got someone to say that for their album, but it seems like it's too low for Minho. But then again, Minho does have a really low voice. So, I'm going to say it's Minho. And I'm going to say this, I know Minho has a low voice but it seemed like it was extra low in this song. But, enough with his voice...back to the song. Again, this song is a hit for me. To me, it has like a slow club feel to it. The back beat is very catchy and one can find themselves bobbing their head or moving their body to it. And of course, their voices are amazing in it as well. Another song to put in repeat. I just wonder what 'JoJo' means...hmm...

4. Get Down (Key, Minho feat. Luna) - For this song, I have to say that it might take a couple of more times to listen to for me to get used to it. This song is just Minho and Key rapping with a little bit of Luna. To be honest, you don't really hear Luna that much in this song. It's like...um...very...I wouldn't say ghetto rap per say...but you hear like sirens sometimes in the background. Sort of old school and new school in it. Minho's rapping is very cool because of that voice of his and it really sounds powerful. Key's rap was cool too because it seems like the beginning of the rap is in english. And his english is pretty good since I understand what he's trying to say.

5. SHINee Girl - This song has a happy feel to it during the chorus. I mean, the title is SHINee Girl so I'm sure it's about liking a girl or something. It's a cute song, I like it. It can bring your spirits up because of its happy and quick beat. There is one part I like though. It's the line "I want you. I need you. I love you too/true." That part was cool.

6. The Name (Onew feat. 김연우) - I just absolutely love this ballad song. I don't know who the other guy is, but his voice nicely compliments Onew's. I adore Onew's voice and it just sounds so flawless in this song. I think it showcases his voice very well because it's low and then there are high notes as well. Perfect song to listen to when you want to relax as well because it's so calming. I'm sucker for his voice so that's why I really love this song.

Photobook

All I have to say is that I love the pictures. It mostly consists of black and whites with color too. Since their concept is kind of dark and gothic of sorts, the lighting and photos convery that very well. There are individual, couple and group pics so it's pretty evenly distributed. The boys look very hot and wish there was more for me to look at.


Packaging

The overall look of it was pretty cool. It was horizontal this time unlike their 'Romeo&Juliette' which was vertical. But it was like the other album in the sense where the CD was in the back in a slit. Photos first then the CD. Now, there are some negatives though...despite how minimal it is. One thing I didn't like about it was how the pictures were glued to the seam. I mean, the day I just got the album, I was looking through the photobook and the pictures were coming off. I didn't even open the photobook that wide and yet the pictures came out of the seam. So, four pictures now are out of the seam. The other negative is that I'm not fond of how the CD is just in the seam. The CD slips out of it and I'm afraid of it slipping out and the CD being damaged.

Now, if I were to rate the album as the whole I would give it a....

9.5/10

I would have given it a 10 if the pictures didn't fall out and the CD was more secured. But overall, the songs are amazing and the photos are sexy. I would totally recommend people who are into SHINee or at least slightly interested in this group to buy the album. I have to say that I probably like this album the most.

KpopxFanatic

No comments:

Post a Comment